I love Accelerated Reader and seeing how many words I have read. This year I have read over 2 million words and taken over 60 quizzes! I use the new words I have read to make my writing exciting.
About the library
We are open throughout each school day until 3.00pm. Our fabulous librarian engages our children with her love of reading. She ensures our library is up to date with the latest, most popular authors and genres. We believe our school library must be one of the best in the country! Each class visit once per week but children are also encouraged to join library clubs, change their books as often as they choose and enjoy books in our Reading Lounge at break times. At Headfield we are a reading friendly school where our children's minds are opened to the literacy world and the joys it brings.
Our Reading Lounge is an outdoor snug, free for children to enjoy their favourite books in a peaceful environment at playtimes.
- In class all children complete a Star Reading Assessment to determine their reading level. This reading level concentrates on how well a child understands what they have read, not just reading fluency.
- From the Star Reading Assessment children are given a reading band. They can then choose any books they wish from the library within this band, ensuring an appropriate level of challenge.
- Children read their chosen book at home and in school. We encourage parents and carers to listen to their child read so questions can be asked about the text to help develop a good level of reading comprehension.
- After reading their chosen book, children complete an online quiz in school to check they have understood the book.These quizzes are known as Accelerated Reader quizzes.
- The Accelerated Reader system awards children points if they have answered correctly, showing they have understood their book and also calculates how many words have been read.
- Children can borrow items for up to 2 weeks – after that they will become overdue and you will either have to return or renew the items.
- Any items long overdue, damaged or lost will have to be paid for.
What you can find in the library:
We have over 6,000 items in the library. Our wide range of books includes picture books, ones for children who aren’t quite yet confident readers, titles for those with reading difficulties or dyslexia, dual language titles as well as books to challenge more confident readers.
The photo above shows E3 learning new languages in the library on European Language Day.
Years 5 & 6 World Book Day Quiz Club with Mrs Costello 12.45-1.15pm
Drop in for a chat with Mrs Hadley, Miss Drysdale and Miss Holl 12.15-12.45pm
Handmade at Headfield with Mrs Dowse & Miss Drysdale 12.15-1.15pm